alter index (Oracle Text index) rebuild on different schema => no rights

From: Krabatz <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:58:37 -0800 (PST)

Core question:

I'd like to execute this statement as "appuser": ALTER INDEX adminuser.my_oracle_text_index REBUILD;

Error message:
ORA-01418: specified index does not exist

How is the syntax to give app_user the grants for alter index of schema_owner_user.my_oracle_text_index?

More specialized question:

That is how I created the index on "schema_owner_user". It is an Oracle Text index with index type CONTEXT to make it possible to search the column my_table.my_column with Oracle Text keywords "contains":
CREATE INDEX schema_owner_user.my_oracle_text_index ON schema_owner_user.my_table(my_column) INDEXTYPE IS ctxsys.CONTEXT;

Now the "app_user" is able to search with keyword "contains" because it has the grants for schema_owner_user.my_table: GRANT SELECT ON schema_owner_user.my_table TO app_user;

But "app_user" is not allowed to alter the index.

The problem could be solved if giving "app_user" the grant for altering any index as "system" user:

But I am not allowed to do that (I don't have the system password on the production machine of my customer).

I need to give the right grant as schema_owner_user to app_user. But I have no idea how the syntax could be.

Thanks for your help.

Jan. Received on Fri Jan 18 2008 - 04:58:37 CST

Original text of this message