Re: ORA-12514 with 10g Install

From: Arch <>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:13:53 -0500

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:47:09 -0800 (PST), "" <> wrote:

>On Dec 21, 9:30 am, Scout <> wrote:
>> Thanks for the location of the hosts file, David.
>> I have windows XP, and the only entry that I have in the host file is
>> "       localhost"
>> Should I put in the entry for " myhostxyz"?
>No. is reserved for localhost only.
>> The services are setup to start automatically, but after startup, the
>> listener is always down. It doesnt work even If I start it (manually
>> or through command line lsnrctl).
>And why is that? There are error messages you could provide from an
>attempt to start the listener. I expect that's due to your DHCP
>configuration and the fact that your current dynamic IP address is not
>the same as the one you obtained when the software was installed.
>> Thanks!!
>XP, in its history, can mean many things, including a version known as
>XP Home, upon which nothing Oracle would run reliably. However I
>expect this is a usable version of the ...ahem ... 'operating system'
>and your problems are directly related to your dynamic IP allocation.
>Yes, the database worked at installation and after a reboot that same
>day, however your IP address lease probably expired between then and
>now and your latest reboot assigned a new IP address to your machine.
>I believe you'll need to re-install Oracle yet again, this time using
>localhost as your host name.
>David Fitzjarrell

The problem is very likely something messed up in your listener.ora file. Any chance you saved a copy before editing it?

It's not terribly difficult to remove the listener and recreate it. I think I'd give that a try before reinstalling Oracle. The Oracle Net Configuration Assistant (netca) will create a new listener. First, delete the service and listener.ora, then reboot. Received on Fri Dec 21 2007 - 14:13:53 CST

Original text of this message