Re: ORA-12514 with 10g Install

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:47:09 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 21, 9:30 am, Scout <scout1..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the location of the hosts file, David.
>
> I have windows XP, and the only entry that I have in the host file is
> "127.0.0.1       localhost"
> Should I put in the entry for "127.0.0.1 myhostxyz"?

No. 127.0.0.1 is reserved for localhost only.

> The services are setup to start automatically, but after startup, the
> listener is always down. It doesnt work even If I start it (manually
> or through command line lsnrctl).

And why is that? There are error messages you could provide from an attempt to start the listener. I expect that's due to your DHCP configuration and the fact that your current dynamic IP address is not the same as the one you obtained when the software was installed.

> Thanks!!

XP, in its history, can mean many things, including a version known as XP Home, upon which nothing Oracle would run reliably. However I expect this is a usable version of the ...ahem ... 'operating system' and your problems are directly related to your dynamic IP allocation. Yes, the database worked at installation and after a reboot that same day, however your IP address lease probably expired between then and now and your latest reboot assigned a new IP address to your machine.

I believe you'll need to re-install Oracle yet again, this time using localhost as your host name.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Dec 21 2007 - 13:47:09 CST