Re: can't create table from package

From: <andized_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:49:31 -0800 (PST)

> First TRUNCATE is DDL thus it issues implicit commits.
>
> Second it locks the table forcing serialization. This can
> potentially slow things down substantially and, on a RAC
> cluster, can bring it to its knees.
>
> The correct solution? Depends on the why the table is being
> truncated, how often, and the nature of the environment.
> Most of the time when I find this what I find is that the
> developers and DBAs do not know how to properly implement
> global temporary tables.

thanks for pointing this out.
the environment im working in is not a RAC, but it has to run some batch jobs with large amounts of data very quickly, so i did not want to use DELETE to empty my tables. global temporary tables sound like a good idea, i am going to close this gap in my oracle knowledge next.

AndiZed Received on Sat Dec 15 2007 - 19:49:31 CST