Re: can't create table from package

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:45:49 -0800

andized_at_gmx.net wrote:
> i am wondering whats so wrong about performing a truncate.
> what would the correct solution look like in your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> AndiZed

As others have asked please do not top post. Scroll to the bottom and post there.

First TRUNCATE is DDL thus it issues implicit commits.

Second it locks the table forcing serialization. This can potentially slow things down substantially and, on a RAC cluster, can bring it to its knees.

The correct solution? Depends on the why the table is being truncated, how often, and the nature of the environment. Most of the time when I find this what I find is that the developers and DBAs do not know how to properly implement global temporary tables.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor