Re: Where to do Data Validation?

From: Brian Tkatch <N/A>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:21:01 -0500

<SNIP>
>> Most of the time
>> the application is even more cryptic!
>
>A testament to poor design and implementation, which, in my opinion,
>you suggested in your original response.

True, and intended. If the DB is "just a convenient place to store data", there isn't a good design anyway. Hence, my comment.

>> >The answer to the question, then, is validate in both, and there is no
>> >conditional response to that. Failure to do so is carelessness and
>> >poor design, in my opinion.
>>
>> I do not disagree. But i have yet to see it happen.
>>

>You don't work for a living? I do and, in general, error messages
>from a user interface are less likely to be as confusing as those
>sometimes produced by Oracle.

As those *sometimes* produced by Oracle. In most cases, well, in most of my cases, the error is a CONSTRAINT error, and if it was intellegently named, it is very informative.

A programmatical error usually hides the real error and displays what the programmer assumed caused it. In which case only an strace, code review, or Googling seems to be the answer to that.

> Simply because you can't author a user-
>friendly block of error text doesn't mean someone else can't.

Of course they can. It's just rarely found in the real world.

B. Received on Tue Nov 20 2007 - 11:21:01 CST