Re: Where to do Data Validation?

From: Brian Tkatch <N/A>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:09:35 -0500

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:48:12 -0800 (PST), Vijai Kalyan <vijai.kalyan_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a question about data validation. I have been reading some
>articles that indicate that data validation should be done at the
>application level (while also having integrity constraints in the
>database) whereas other articles mention that data validation should
>be done only at the database level because that's what integrity
>constraints are for.
>
>Any for or against on these two viewpoints?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Vijai.

If the database is just a convenient oplace to store data, and the program is what matters, put the validation in the program.

If the program is just a convenient way to work with the data, and the database is what matters, put the validation in the database.

B. Received on Tue Nov 20 2007 - 08:09:35 CST