Re: reading random records with JDBC?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:21:09 -0000

On Nov 7, 4:08 pm, <MfwEwkCtz..._at_spammotel.com> wrote:
> > There are no records in a database, only rows.
>
> I just checked the official oracle docu. It's not called "rows", it's
> called "zeilen"!

Bad translation? The originals are in English, so check those.

> > So exactly what is the key that makes the rows comparable? Use that.
> > IOW, select a sample from table 1 and fectch the rows with the same
> > keys from table 2, and then compare.
>
> I want to compare the tables physically, by rows, and not by key.
> I don't know the keys, the program deals with different tables.
>
> JMS
exactly what is the purpose? What business requirement is this?

I have always tried to follow the tenet "there are no stupid questions" when I read newsgroups, but this thread is pushing my limits.

Just how would you select the row from the second table?

Think about what you seem to be attempting to do. Consider this outside the context of Oracle. Let say you were comparing two files (then record is the correct term). You somehow randomly select records out of the first file, then what would be the corresponding record in the second file? By i-node? note that file one might be contiguous on the filesystem what file two is scattered into several blocks.

I'm trying to point out that what you seem to be asking is very unusual, and likely not useful at all. It might be analogous to comparing two bags of groceries by randomly selecting items from each bag and comparing them. Not a very successful method of testing is it.

Ed
Reminds me somehow of the old observation about two watches. One that runs fast and one that is completely stopped. Which one is better? The second one because while the first one never shows the right time, the second one is correct twice a day! Received on Mon Nov 12 2007 - 10:21:09 CST