Re: OPTIMIZER_HINT, FIRST_ROWS, and MAX

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:13:00 +0100

athaung_at_gmail.com wrote:
> The Oracle version exhibiting the problem is 8.1.7.0.0.

Which is: No longer supported, and unpatched.
> The problem does NOT show up in 9.2.0.1.0.

Ditto.

If you insist on using desupported versions, try to get them at least at End-Of-Lifecycle versions. For 8i, release 3, that would be 8.1.7.4.17 (or something similar), for 9i Release 2, that would be 9.2.0.8.0. If you bought extended support on 9i, it will get patched.

The only comment from Oracle support (after they stopped laughing, I guess) will be "If the problem persists in EOL versions, contact us again".

(and you know what the answer will be on 8i: "Upgrade")

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...