Re: Multiple datasets in one dataset

From: William Robertson <williamr2019_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 06:06:29 -0700

On Oct 11, 2:38 pm, Brian Tkatch <N/A> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:29:30 -0700, roman.moroku..._at_googlemail.com
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >> For a quick solution, you could use a UNION ALL, and a WHERE NOT
> >> EXISTS on each one.
>
> >thank you for your help. Could you give me an example of how such
> >a statement could look?
>
> select * from foo where wp = '418' and curr_ms = 28144336 and
> value_group = 11
> UNION ALL
> select * from foo where wp = '418' and and curr_ms = 28144336 and
> value_group = 21
> UNION ALL
> select * from foo where wp = '418' and curr_ms = 28144336 and
> c.value_group = 22
>
> Of course a standard IN() would work as well.
>

> >> I fail to see how do you know that: a.value_group = 11 and
> >> b.value_group = 21 and c.value_group = 22. And if you do know there
> >> separate values, why not just write separate queries?
>
> >This is as I stated above that it is not clear how many lines to
> >expect.
> >The example shows a query where I definitely know the current count
> >of lines. The lines indicate a process flow or think of a pipeline
> >where
> >a piece comes in and goes through the stages. The initial stage
> >creates
> >the unique time stamp and sets the value_group to 11. The next stage
> >takes the same time stamp and sets value_group to 21 and so on till
> >the last stage and this has the value_group id 25.
>
> >But if the processing in one stage before the last may fails I have
> >occasionally not the full count of entries. And this is exactly the
> >problem.
> >To select all them regardless of on what stage they may have been
> >failed.
>
> >Regards
> >Roman
>
> I still do not understand. What defines if another record should be
> searched? What denotes failure?
>
> B.

Exactly, if you want all rows where wp = 418 and curr_ms = 28144336 and value_group is in some range then I'm still not seeing a problem. Possibly it's something to do with the 'datasets' and the columns named VALUE_1-10, but I can't see a connection. Do you need to pivot them or something? Received on Sun Oct 14 2007 - 08:06:29 CDT