Re: problem with longvarchar... reads as long

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:07:17 -0700

On Oct 9, 12:15 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 10:03 am, Sonnich Jensen <sonnich.jen..._at_jotautomation.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 9, 5:22 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:

> > >http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:8...
>
> > Well, unfortunately I cannot create anything on the DB. That leaves me
> > to find a solution on SQL only.
> > Or, it is not possible to do.
>
> > WBR
> > Sonnich- Hide quoted text -

> LONG columns don't play nicely with SQL*Plus or many other tools. I
> suspect you'll need to forget this if you can't process the data using
> PL/SQL. Simply because someone writes a function doesn't mean you
> can't apply something similar with an anonymous PL/SQL block. And it
> also depends upon what you intend to do with this data once you get it
> 'extracted'.
>
> It may well be that you can't do what you want given that you're using
> a LONG column.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

1 - What is DB Explorer?

2 - What is the length of the actual data? Just as Excel has a limit to the number of rows of data that it can handle (64k) I would think that there is also a limit to the length of any cell's data.

3 - The long data type is officially obsolete and where possible tables with long columns should be converted to using LOB columns.

Just tagging along for info.
-- Mark D Powell --

The Long data type is obsolete and only exists for backward compatiability. Received on Wed Oct 10 2007 - 11:07:17 CDT