Re: problem with longvarchar... reads as long

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:15:38 -0700

On Oct 9, 10:03 am, Sonnich Jensen <sonnich.jen..._at_jotautomation.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 5:22 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 9, 8:46 am, Sonnich Jensen <sonnich.jen..._at_jotautomation.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hi
>
> > > I have a problem when reading a longvarchar, displays as memo in DB
> > > Explorer. It reads, but when reading in excel it gives an error (just
> > > that).
> > > When playing around in DB explorer, I cannot use casting as char, the
> > > error: expected char, got long.
>
> > > In the SQL I cannot use || and add something to it.
>
> > > NVL fails too.
>
> > > What should I do?
>
> >http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:8...
>
> Well, unfortunately I cannot create anything on the DB. That leaves me
> to find a solution on SQL only.
> Or, it is not possible to do.
>
> WBR
> Sonnich- Hide quoted text -

LONG columns don't play nicely with SQL*Plus or many other tools. I suspect you'll need to forget this if you can't process the data using PL/SQL. Simply because someone writes a function doesn't mean you can't apply something similar with an anonymous PL/SQL block. And it also depends upon what you intend to do with this data once you get it 'extracted'.

It may well be that you can't do what you want given that you're using a LONG column.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Oct 09 2007 - 11:15:38 CDT