Re: excel to oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:17:19 -0700

On Oct 5, 7:37 am, "Tim B" <nos..._at_someisp.ca> wrote:
> I have some data in an Excel spreadsheet - about 100 -200 records - that I
> need to import into Oracle, likely with some transformation required. I can
> convert it to csv or xml via MS Access and then set it up as an external
> table and proceed from there. What other ways could you suggest that might
> be feasible for this task? Is there another way to do it with xml as the
> source?

Last week someone suggested Apex, so I gave it a try. It was real easy (I mean including downloading XE, installing, creating a wizard and cut-and-pasting a spreadsheet into it), but it screwed up on special characters like copyright.

I normally use awk in korn shell scripts to masticate and load csv's with sqlplus or sqlloader. Then I can deal with the special characters, commas, ampersands and other cleansing issues, since people do all sorts of weirdness getting stuff into Excel, thinking they are being helpful.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What's not in your database?  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071002/news_1m2russian.html