Re: check if oracle or MSDE

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:58:59 -0700

On Sep 14, 4:50 am, seannakas..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there a way to write a single SQL statement that will run a
> statement if you are in Oracle and run another statement if you are in
> MSDE? It has to be a single SQL statement because I'm using a front
> end application that requires that, so it can't be an PL/SQL script,
> proc, nor a function. Our application runs with either Oracle or MSDE
> so that's why i have this need.

You have this want, it's not a need, as you could port the application to the various DBMS engines and leverage the capabilities of each. Apparently the goal is to create a product no one can use because it performs and scales so poorly no one will bother to install it.

To answer your question, no, there is no such SQL statement.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Sep 14 2007 - 08:58:59 CDT