Re: check if oracle or MSDE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:33:42 -0700

seannakasone_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there a way to write a single SQL statement that will run a
> statement if you are in Oracle and run another statement if you are in
> MSDE? It has to be a single SQL statement because I'm using a front
> end application that requires that, so it can't be an PL/SQL script,
> proc, nor a function. Our application runs with either Oracle or MSDE
> so that's why i have this need.

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM user_tables;

If it works it is Oracle. If it fails it is Microsoft.

But I agree too with David. This is the start of implementing a mediocre code base that will provide mediocre performance, mediocre scalability, mediocre security, and potentially lead to data corruption. Did I say it was a really bad idea?

Write best of breed for each database and use a common user interface layer to avoid unnecessary duplication.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington