Re: redologs and deadlock interaction

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:31:49 -0500

carab1n3r wrote:
> I'm still relatively green as a DBA, so excuse the possibly simple
> question...
>
> We have a DB that is seeing a lot of deadlocks, occasionally hundreds
> at a time. Yes, typically this is an external-application/development
> problem.
>
> However, I'm trying to determine and/or explain what impact lots-o-
> deadlocks has on redolog, particularly the switching. The reason I
> mention it is that during these "deadlock storms", we occasionally run
> out of redologs to switch to.
>
> The drumbeat I'm hearing is to "just add more redolog groups!!!" since
> that's easy to do, but we're only running into this redolog-switching
> problem during the deadlock storms, and my gut is that this is just a
> bandaid and will eventually not resolve the problem as deadlock rates
> continue to increase.
>
> So can someone explain to me (in such a way that I can explain it to
> others), when we have lots of deadlocks, what impact does that have on
> redologs?
>

> Thanks a lot in advance for the advice.

It is most likely that it is the high rate of DML activity (as seen by many log switches) that are contributing to the deadlocks. The high rate of log switches is a symptom but not a cause of your deadlocks. Log switches and redo logs do not contribute to deadlocks. If your system did not experience the high rate of DML then your chances of a deadlock would decrease.

As you said, this is an application issue. Chasing after the high rate of redo log switching is a red herring in solving your issue.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net