Re: redologs and deadlock interaction

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:38:12 -0700

carab1n3r wrote:
> I'm still relatively green as a DBA, so excuse the possibly simple
> question...
>
> We have a DB that is seeing a lot of deadlocks, occasionally hundreds
> at a time. Yes, typically this is an external-application/development
> problem.
>
> However, I'm trying to determine and/or explain what impact lots-o-
> deadlocks has on redolog, particularly the switching. The reason I
> mention it is that during these "deadlock storms", we occasionally run
> out of redologs to switch to.
>
> The drumbeat I'm hearing is to "just add more redolog groups!!!" since
> that's easy to do, but we're only running into this redolog-switching
> problem during the deadlock storms, and my gut is that this is just a
> bandaid and will eventually not resolve the problem as deadlock rates
> continue to increase.
>
> So can someone explain to me (in such a way that I can explain it to
> others), when we have lots of deadlocks, what impact does that have on
> redologs?
>

> Thanks a lot in advance for the advice.

Based on what you've written I think your conclusion does not correspond with the facts as you've stated them. Please provide the trace files or reports, that you think support your conclusion. Or, perhaps, you are using the word "deadlock" in a manner other than what I expect.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington