Re: Newbie question re refreshing Materialized Views

From: Adam Cameron <adam_junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:42:17 +0100

> <RANT>

If you want a rant, I'll give you a rant ;-)

WERE any of your questions actually relevant to my situation?

Was it NOT a case of you misreading what I was asking?

Honestly?

Let's have a look:
1) Is the behaviour of refreshing of MVs specifically different between 9.0.1 and 9.2.0.8? I guess it could, fair enough. FWIW, we're on 9.2.0.1.0.

2) It would surprise me if the DDL of the MV would have any bearing on how the generic refresh procedure works. But yeah, open-minded on that. The DDL itself will probably be of little use, though, without the DDL of the contributing tables, and various other odds and sods in the system. It sounds like a lot of waffle for no good reason.

3-4) You start mentioning "the change". What change? It seemed to me you were dwelling on this glitch I mention in my second paragraph, having not really read the rest of it (well: possibly you got to the fourth paragraph, I reckon, before responding). I agree that had I actually been asking about the performance thing, then your questions would have made sense.

I'm happy to provide the info (although getting the explain plan is going to require some reading up on my part, as I don't know how to do that), but I really thought (and still think) it was irrelevant, and would be pointless clutter to an already long-winded post.

Maybe I should have said "seem relevant", not "are relevant" in my last sentence.

But... like... are they? "Relevant", I mean.

--
Adam