Re: Changing IP of Oracle web server.

From: HansF <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:52:14 -0700

On Jun 29, 3:30 pm, mcca..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hope this is the right place. I'm a Windows and Unix sysadmin and as
> such I periodically have the need to change IPs. My Oracle people
> tell me that changing the IP of servers in our web tier (Solaris) is
> nigh on impossible because it requires a complete reinstall of the
> software on that box. That seems completely absurd to me, so I put it
> to you . . . how laborious and/or disruptive is it to change/add an IP
> on an Oracle web server?

This used to be absolutely true for Oracle Application Server (the web server is simply a subset of OAS and is based on Apache).

However, the newer versions of Oracle Application Server include a little utility called 'Change IP and Host', which is effectively a set of PERL routines controlled by a script. That script will be either 'chgiphost' (*nix) or 'chgiphost.bat' (Windows)

Going from memory here ... if you have a sufficiently new version, you'll find the script in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin or in $ORACLE_HOME/ chgip? directory. The script is also documented in the http://docs.oracle.com if your version includes the script.

Never the less, it is a really good idea to use virtual IP and DNS to handle this. Received on Sat Jun 30 2007 - 00:52:14 CDT