Re: What options for catching DDL exceptions in scripts sent to multiple users?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:18:00 -0000

On Jun 5, 1:33 pm, dean <deanbrow..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted some advice on what people are doing to keep synchronized the
> client site databases and development machines. Rigth now we create
> DDL statements in scripts, and run them through a little app (in
> windows) that is aware of all of our users in 2 different databases
> (9.2i and 10g), and sends the script file off to each one to be run
> (using the sql+ @ command). If it all looks good (we look at the dos
> prompt screens), then we call it ok and ship the scripts off to our
> clients, where there DBAs run them.
>
> The problem is, if a script fails, we have a hard time seeing the
> failure messages. We have 30 different users, and each script is run
> in a set of created scrolling dos prompt windows, which get cut off at
> some point. We are looking into examining the results log file, an
> exception log file, or both, to make it easier to spot errors. How can
> we catch exceptions such as this efficiently?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dean

Sounds like a windows/DOS question. In the UNIX/Linux world, I'd redirect both standard out and standard error to a file and review the file afterward. I don't know how to do the equivalent on DOS. (It's been just too long andf the memories of DOS are just too painful.)

   Ed Received on Tue Jun 05 2007 - 13:18:00 CDT