Re: Optimizer to scan free text

From: Thorsten Kettner <thorsten.kettner_at_web.de>
Date: 9 May 2007 02:55:23 -0700

On 8 Mai, 17:47, Norcale <nilaybha..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to scan a field that has free text. The problem is that
> the database is huge and it takes hours for the query to come back. I
> am running a simple query with a like condition. Any ideas as to what
> optimizer I could use to save some time?
>
> Thanks

If the table is big and you are looking for some string inside the text (like '%something%') there will be a full table scan and all text must be searched from beginning to end. That takes long. Of course. The only way about it I can think of right now is: more info in your database to somehow limit the search. This might be done by allowing only certain search words and have indexes on these. Or adding a subject for the text and then you would only search text where the subject matches. Or you would store additional key words and would search these only instead of the big text...

Without changes to your database and appropriate search options this will remain a time-consuming task. Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 04:55:23 CDT