Need Help - Any workaround?

From: <pankaj_wolfhunter_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 10:44:43 -0700

Greetings,

          Need some help to implement the following logic, if possible, in a single sql
statement.

Requirement:

(1) I have two tables say table1 and table2
(2) I have to iterate through table1 records and need to check some
conditions against table2 records
(3) When the conditions are NOT MATCHING I want to insert the same
record(under consideration) of table1 into table2
(4) If conditions are MATCHING then I need to update some columns of
table2 and insert the same record
from table1 to table 2 (just like point 3).

My approach was to do it using MERGE statement but I dont know how to update plus insert
the records (i.e point 4) in the WHEN MATCHED clause of merge statement.

Can someone give me some hint or some workaround? If possible, I want to avoid using cursors.

I hope I was able to make myself clear

Any help would be appreciated.

DB version information:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

TIA Received on Mon Apr 23 2007 - 12:44:43 CDT