Re: Need Help - Any workaround?

From: <pankaj_wolfhunter_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 12:31:07 -0700

On Apr 23, 10:44 pm, "pankaj_wolfhun..._at_yahoo.co.in" <pankaj_wolfhun..._at_yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Greetings,
> Need some help to implement the following logic, if possible, in a
> single sql
> statement.
>
> Requirement:
>
> (1) I have two tables say table1 and table2
> (2) I have to iterate through table1 records and need to check some
> conditions against table2 records
> (3) When the conditions are NOT MATCHING I want to insert the same
> record(under consideration) of table1 into table2
> (4) If conditions are MATCHING then I need to update some columns of
> table2 and insert the same record
> from table1 to table 2 (just like point 3).
>
> My approach was to do it using MERGE statement but I dont know how to
> update plus insert
> the records (i.e point 4) in the WHEN MATCHED clause of merge
> statement.
>
> Can someone give me some hint or some workaround?
> If possible, I want to avoid using cursors.
>
> I hope I was able to make myself clear
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> DB version information:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi
> PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production
>
> TIA
One more way i just tried.

As inserting of records (point 3) is a common activity, I first inserted the records in table2 using table1 and then updated table2 using MERGE based on the business conditions. It seem to be working fine.

But still something like a single sql statement or something else? Received on Mon Apr 23 2007 - 14:31:07 CDT