Re: database defragmentation :)

From: <mfullerton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2007 18:45:27 -0700

If you take an export you are getting a binary logical file of the data contained in the database. If you truncate the table you remove the data and it will not show up in the export file. The only logical explaination is that there was not much data in the 70 meg table. If you fill a 70 meg table and delete 60 megs, you still have a 70 meg table while you would only have 10 megs of data. exporting that table should only yield the export equivalent of 10 megs of data, while a trunacate will only reduce it by the export equivalent of 10 megs. Follow? Exports are "logical", ie. they just contain data, metadata, etc., no whitespace from the high water mark.