Re: more than a one result set at the same time

From: Mariano <mariano.calandra_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2007 13:09:55 -0700

On 20 Mar, 20:34, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Mariano schreef:
>

> > I really don't know where to post this message, but usually I post
> > here...
>
> > Then...
> > I would know, thinking in abstract level, so with no specific database
> > or specific programming language, in your opinion: is it possible use
> > 2 or more "ResultSet" to complete my work?
>
> > For example: I have a set of box to fillup with data obtained from a
> > DB, one of this box is a Menu/List item (the component with down
> > arrow) , in this menu appear a list of date (also date must be read
> > from DB). By the click of one of this data, some box of the set must
> > be changed.
>
> > My question is: should I have two query/Result set:
> > 1) a rs that give a list of date, that will fill up my Menu Field
> > 2) a rs that give all information of a specific date (this date will
> > be decided by Menu Field)
> > ???
>
> > I hope that I've been not so incomprehensible :D
>
> Sounds like *two* resultsets to me.
> Oracle can handle those requests rather efficient, by using bind
> variables - that is, your statement does not change from an
> Oracle perspective:
> select * from date_info_table where date_id = :1;
>
> The *value* of :1 changes, not the statement.
>
> The java approach would be to select all from date_info_table,
> store that on the application server, change the java runtime
> parameters into -MX1024 -MS256 or similar, and shrug when the
> sysops start complaining about memory usage of those darn Java
> apps...
> The date info you would need to display would be sorted, hashed,
> washed, rinsed and dried on the application server before it is
> actually displayed.
>
> All this because of performance.
>
> Yes, I've had a bad day; sysops refused to create any packages,
> as all 32(!) servers were running 100% CPU and swapping...
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

yes, bind variables is the solution. Now... if I don't wanna do complicated operations on server, the last remaining solution is to make a query to fillup List with date, and another query (with bind variables) to obtain info from the fields with selected date, right??? Received on Tue Mar 20 2007 - 15:09:55 CDT