Re: more than a one result set at the same time

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:34:38 +0100

Mariano schreef:
> I really don't know where to post this message, but usually I post
> here...
>
> Then...
> I would know, thinking in abstract level, so with no specific database
> or specific programming language, in your opinion: is it possible use
> 2 or more "ResultSet" to complete my work?
>
> For example: I have a set of box to fillup with data obtained from a
> DB, one of this box is a Menu/List item (the component with down
> arrow) , in this menu appear a list of date (also date must be read
> from DB). By the click of one of this data, some box of the set must
> be changed.
>
> My question is: should I have two query/Result set:
> 1) a rs that give a list of date, that will fill up my Menu Field
> 2) a rs that give all information of a specific date (this date will
> be decided by Menu Field)
> ???
>
> I hope that I've been not so incomprehensible :D

Sounds like *two* resultsets to me.
Oracle can handle those requests rather efficient, by using bind variables - that is, your statement does not change from an Oracle perspective:
select * from date_info_table where date_id = :1;

The *value* of :1 changes, not the statement.

The java approach would be to select all from date_info_table, store that on the application server, change the java runtime parameters into -MX1024 -MS256 or similar, and shrug when the sysops start complaining about memory usage of those darn Java apps...
The date info you would need to display would be sorted, hashed, washed, rinsed and dried on the application server before it is actually displayed.

All this because of performance.

Yes, I've had a bad day; sysops refused to create any packages, as all 32(!) servers were running 100% CPU and swapping...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...