Re: compute md5-hash from file

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:49:49 +0100

Thomas Peter schrieb:
> Maxim Demenko wrote:

>> How you declared checksum variable?
>> For me your example works (i hope, your test_utl_file don't exceed
>> 2Gb, in that case you would get however ORA-01426) :

> can you try your code with a file larger than 32767 byte?
>
> i think this is the problem here...
> it seems, that dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.MD5 can't handle data lagrer
> than 32767, which makes sense, since it expects RAW or VARCHAR, which
> have a limit for usage in pl/sql at 32767 bytes
>
> i read something about a procedure called
> dbms_crypto.hash which explicit handles blobs (as mentioned in
> http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_crypto.html)
> but i don't have such a package!
> ok, the document say's 10g, but i connected to an instance of 10g 10.2
> and there is no dbms_crypto.hash as well.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thnx,
> thomas

Yes, you are correct in your assumption regarding dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.MD5, i'm not aware, how this limitation to overcome. On 10g dbms_crypto.hash allow blob as input parameter, so this would probably solve your problem. Execute grant on DBMS_CRYPTO not granted per default to public, so this may be a reason why you don't see this function.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Mar 19 2007 - 10:49:49 CDT