Re: sysdate function - possible to override

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:28:26 -0600

Luch wrote:
> some of our customers need to operate in zulu time but must keep the
> box their Oracle DB is on in local time (such as Eastern).
>
> We wrote a stored proc to convert the sysdate from their local time
> into zulu. It works fine. But some programmers will still call SYSDate
> from their code, which is bad because then the "wrong" time is
> returned and they won't realize it when developing.

Since this is in development, does it really matter if their activity is "off"? They aren't working on real data anyway.

> my thinking is to override the sysdate function. Is this possible? I
> welcome any suggestions on how to deal with above issue.

Have you thought about setting their session's timezone?

ALTER SESSION SET TIME_ZONE= '[+|-]hh:mm'

                             | time_zone_region

The data may be stored in the database's local time zone, but the session can do a conversion as it is working with the data.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net