Re: Crystal Report and PLSQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:25:17 -0800

sandya wrote:
> On Feb 17, 10:43 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> sandya wrote:
>>> Is it possible to useCrystalReportand PLSQL code to write back to
>>> base tables.
>> Yes and no.
>>
>> You can useCrystalReports to run stored procedures and REF CURSORS
>> to pass information back toCrystal. But it not exactly a substitute
>> for a real front-end.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> When I am trying to update the base table it gives me the following
> error:
>
> Database connector error: 'HY000:[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01456:may not
> perform insert//delete/update/ operation on READ ONLY transactions.
>
> Some where I read that I need to change some environment variable to
> make transactions read/write. Since I am new to the Crystal Report I
> dont know about environment variable. Could you please tell me how is
> it done or is there any other solution to it.

Crystal Reports is a REPORT WRITER ... not a front-end application. What on earth are you doing?

If you put your UPDATE into a stored procedure and execute the proc it will do the update. But from what I see here you are trying to bypass every rational measure of security and database integrity. Does your DBA know what you are doing?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington