Re: Table-level replication

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:41:10 -0800

Tarby777 wrote:
> Thanks Daniel and Uwe for your replies. I'll look into the things you
> suggested. One particular scenario is concerning me, and I'd be
> interested to hear how materialised views and streams would handle it:
>
> Say an organisation has several installations of the application. We
> want to introduce component library replication into the organisation.
> The component libraries are currently unsync'd, but are likely to
> contain many components (part numbers) that are common to both,
> although the UIDs will be different. The UID is the primary key on the
> table, and can't be changed in the target DB, because data in other
> tables references the components by their UID. The replication process
> would have to identify components in the target DB by their part
> numbers rather than by their UIDs, and would have to be able to
> replicate certain columns in the component tables while leaving others
> untouched.
>
> Can mat'd views and/or streams handle this scenario?
>
> TIA
> Tarby

Define "component libraries" this is not an Oracle term.

Materialized view (older method) and Streams (newer 9i and 10g) and intended for data replication.

I would suggest you ignore Materialized Views if, as you previously stated, the connection may be down. Streams is asynchronous and can play catch-up. Materialized views are a maintenance nightmare.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington