Re: searching entire database

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:04:52 +0100

seannakasone_at_yahoo.com schreef:
> How do I search the entire database for a value and return the
> tablenames and column names that contain this value? For argument
> sake, let's say I'm searching for the text "the quick brown fox".
>
> I think someone posted this question before but it never got any
>
> In case your wondering why I want to do this, I'm using a software
> package that stores all it's data in a database. It shows me the
> data, but I have no idea what tables and column names contain these
> values so it's hard to change the data through sql scripting.
>
> thanks a lot,
> Sean.

I am with Anurag - nice piece of code.

But - it does not support LOBs, and Text Indexes do. You can create an index, that works over several columns, in different tables.
Drawback however, it's not dynamically; you'll have to know what to index.

Sean, do you really mean to search the entire database? It seems such a waste of resources - your data will most likely be in tables of one schema (which resembles a "database" in MS speak).

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...