Re: Help with ora-1866?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 16:54:38 -0800

On Feb 5, 4:20 pm, "sherifffruitfly" <sherifffruit..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (This is C#/ODP interface to Oracle DB)
>
> I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with this update query - any
> chance at a lil help? I saw a Metalink page that talked about "setting
> direct=n", but I don't have a clue as to what that means - lol!
>
> (In the code below, I originally tried the date column with just the
> staight-up value of the column a DateTime, and got the same #$%$^#
> invalid date error.)
>
> The code below invariably gives me "ORA-1866: the datetime class is
> invalid"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

$ oerr ora 1866
01866, 00000, "the datetime class is invalid" // *Cause: This is an internal error.
// *Action: Please contact Oracle Worldwide Support.

The direct=n refers to a bug where you get the error using a particular tool, sql*loader, to which you pass certain parameters like direct=y, and try to load certain data types.

Given your tool, you'll probably be told to "upgrade drivers" or some such mysterious nonsense. You will be asked about minor details like Oracle version, tool version, OS version, which you should post here, too, in general. It is possible you are using (intentionally or not) a newer datatype that your tool doesn't know how to handle with its older versions.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"If you have anything out of the ordinary, let the ladies know