Re: Number Data Type

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2007 06:07:26 -0800

On Feb 2, 8:21 am, muralidhar..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Oracle 10g database.
> I have a table with field name "Amount" and its datatype is
> Number(7,2).
> If I enter the amount value as 10.23, it is stored beautifully in the
> database.
> But, if I enter the amount value as 10.00, it is getting truncated and
> stored in the databse as only 10 (The decimal part is not stored in
> the database if both the digits in the decimal part are zeros')
>
> Can any one help me in understanding this, and how to over come this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Murali.

What makes you think the decimal part is not stored?   1 create table ejptest (
  2 amount number(7,2)
  3* )
SQL> / Table created.

SQL> insert into ejptest values (10.23);

1 row created.

SQL> insert into ejptest values (10.00);

1 row created.

SQL> select * from ejptest ;

    AMOUNT

     10.23
        10

SQL> column amount format 99999.99
SQL> select * from ejptest ;

   AMOUNT

    10.23
    10.00

SQL> Don't confuse the display format with the storage format.

   Ed Received on Fri Feb 02 2007 - 08:07:26 CST