Re: Sorting numbers in a text field

From: <spudtheimpaler_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2007 07:19:54 -0800

On Jan 23, 5:33 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> spudtheimpa..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> Get a different trainer: Seriously!
>
> >> The only way my students would see this problem would be if the question
> >> they were being asked was: "What is wrong with this design."
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> >>www.psoug.org
>
> > Lol.
>
> > Well as I'm sure you can understand, thats not really possible. but
> > it's nice to think that when I'm not doing so well it might not just be
> > my own fault ;)
>
> > It's a Java training course I'm actually on, but apparently SQL is a
> > good selling point so you learn some of that too.
>
> > Cheers for you input anyway guys!One of the most fascinating things about our industry is that those that
> write SQL and PL/SQL ... know they don't know Java.
>
> But those that know Java are convinced they understand databases. Some
> of the worst schema designs I have ever seen were put together by well
> meaning, and hopelessly ignorant, Java developers.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Thats interesting. I've not been in the field long enough to know, and with utmost respect I have yet to find a language is like/am capable of as little as PL/SQL. Maybe I don't like because I don't get, or vice versa, but either way I can never see myself being a DBA. We don't get along.

Still, Java developers thinking they know SQL, something I will look out for in my travels.

Thanks again!

Micth. Received on Mon Jan 29 2007 - 09:19:54 CST