Re: out of memory - executing a select statement

From: savindya <savindya_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2007 03:38:23 -0800

sybrandb wrote:
> savindya wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I m using oracle 9i as the db. And a certain table has 1330391 records
> > in it.
> > I use PLSQL developer to query on the db.
> >
> > When I execute a simple SELECT * FROM tablename , the system fetches
> > about 208,595 records and halts with the out of memory error.It is
> > impossible to use any stored procedures on this table also.Please
> > advice on what options are available.
> >
> > regards,
> > Savindya
>
> *Which* out of memory error?
> Please do NOT assume we are looking over your shoulder and can guess
> what 'the out of memory error' and 'impossible to use stored
> procedures' means.
> The options which are available are
> - be more specific
> - be more specific
> and
> - be more specific
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Hi,

Sorry if I offended you. But I have listed all the known facts.

The out of memory occurs in the PL SQL developer GUI when a select * from XXXX is performed.
The PLSQL developer first lists down the first 30 rows.When I click on fetch all rows, it crashes mid way.
The problem must be with the client program (PL SQL developer) and not the database server.
Are there any memory managment methods to use ? Should the database table entries be archived ?

The machine on which the PLSQL runs has 1 GB RAM. please advice

Savindya Received on Wed Jan 10 2007 - 05:38:23 CST