Re: Getting ORA-12154 : TNS Could not resolve service name, randomly.

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Jan 2007 05:54:50 -0800

On Jan 3, 2:26 pm, "Vinayaka" <vinutheking20..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> we have developed a stand alone application in C#.net that connects to
> Oracle database using OleDb provider. This application is working fine
> at development environment but when we installed this on clients
> environment it is failing randomly by giving "ORA -12154: TNS Could not
> resolve service name" error.
>
> The only difference we have is, In development environment we use
> tnsnames where as in clients environment they are using onames
> (centralized oracle name server).
>
> Error details.
> 1. All connections uses same connection string to connect.
> 2. First connection always succeeds, but other connections are failing
> randomly( it may be 2nd or 3rd connection, some time no failures).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Please enable tracing in sqlnet.ora and work from there. How to enable tracing (which is obviously in the documentation) I have outlined at least a 1000 times in this forum. To verify the name server directly
issue
namesctl query <service_name> a.smd
Oracle Names is obsolete and has been replaced by Oracle Internet Directory in 9i and higher.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA