Re: Sharing development licenses with multiple clients

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:07:22 GMT

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:32:45 -0800, babsbini wrote:

> Hi,
> My company develops software for various clients. At present we have an
> Oracle 9i server with 25 user licenses. We are using only about 10 of
> the 25 for development for one client. Can I legally use the remaining
> 15 for a different client? Or do we need to purchase another set of
> licenses for another client?

  1. This is a question for Oracle Sales and your legal department, not for the internet. Your existing license may have provisions in it that may be different from any other license, potentially invalidating any answer we provide;
  2. Oracle generically has 2 kinds of database license - named user and CPU based. If your license is 'named', then a license is tagged to a specific name or person and you can not easily transfer that; if your license is CPU, generally there is no persistant link (in a legal sense) between the specific user and the license - almost 'concurrent user' style.
--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!