Re: How to change field size using SQL against an oracle Database

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 16:58:40 -0700

BookerT (chipw_at_ascac.org) wrote:
: I open up Oracle SQL*Plus and i want to change the field size for one
: of my columns in one of my databases. I have a generic SQL book, but
: when I try some of the commands, they don't seem to work in SQL*PLUS

: How can I perform this procedure on a table called INQUIRIES within my
: database. I want to change the field size from 10 , to say , 60

In sqlplus, the COLUMN command controls the width and etc of the display of each column. The COlumn command is specific to the sqlplus tool, it is a thing quite apart from the SQL language.

google: sqlplus reference
google: sqlplus faq

: I even wanted to jus ttry the EXPLAIN command to view the table, but
: when I type EXPLAIN INQUIRIES, i get a missing keyword error.

You are guessing on this one.

The command you likely want is DESCRIBE, which can be used within SQLPLUS to show the layout of many objects, including tables and views. (And again it is a command that is not part of SQL).

To view the _contents_ of a table or view, of course, you use SQL, as in

        select * from THE_TABLE_OR_VIEW; Received on Thu Dec 14 2006 - 17:58:40 CST