Re: Optimizing inline view

From: Mike C <michaeljc70_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2006 08:22:59 -0800

Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 09.11.2006 20:31, Mike C wrote:
> > Just for reference, aside from the statistics problem, what I as
> > looking for is the PUSH_SUBQ hint. This forces subqueries to be
> > processed first.
>
> Does it make any difference now that your stats are up to date?
>
> robert

In this instance, yes it made a world of difference. However, I had several other queries that get a set of data based on criteria. Then there are additonal fields gathered to supplement that data from other tables that are joined in. Often, it wants to join in those tables with the supplemental data that have millions of rows at the beginning, making the cost huge. Since the queires only returns hundreds of rows, it is much more efficient to narrow down the records first, then get the supplemental fields for those rows. I can force this by using PUSH_SUBQ and making the base query a subquery (actually, inline view). Received on Fri Nov 10 2006 - 10:22:59 CST