Re: Survey...Please help and respond!!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:23:44 -0800

peteh wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> DB2 is being marginalized and won't be a serious player in 5-7 years.

> LOL - guess this solves for good the mystery of what "DA" stands for...
>
> Pete H

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/247276_software07.html

Take away z/OS and AS400 and IBM's share is about the same as that of Informix or Sybase: In other words ... DB2 is being marginalized. In 5-7 years ... the current DB2 workforce will be retired. How many 20-30 year olds are learning DB2 today? How many colleges/universities are teaching DB2? How many private training companies support the product?

I stand by the statement ... in 5-7 years DB2 won't be a serious player unless Oracle or SAP steps in and helps keep it afloat.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington