Re: Newbie: Creating new database files

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:19:05 +0000

In message <ei7aek$kkq$1_at_lore.csc.com>, Ade <Ade_at_nowhere.com> writes

>"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>> Ade wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm a complete Newbie when it comes to Oracle so please excuse my simple
>>> questions. I have installed Oracle 10g Express on my home system and so
>>> far all works well. I can create tables etc, either programatically (VB6)
>>> or using the GUI provided which I think is quite useable. I have a book
>>> which I think is a very good reference (Hands on Oracle 10g Express foe
>>> Windows published by Osbourne), but the only thing it doesn't explain is
>>> how to create a fresh set of database files. Or is this the reason for
>>> the Express edition?
>>>
>>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Ade
>>
>> By "a fresh set of database files" what is it you are trying to
>> accomplish?
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>
>Hi,
>
>Ideally, as with Access previously, I would expect each application I write
>to have their own set of files which can be stored away from other
>applications. This was so easily done with Access (sorry if I'm swearing. by
>the way!!).
>
>With Oracle it appears that there is a central database area underneath the
>Oracle directory tree which will contain data for all applications using it.
>I can only see a separation between applications by the use of a
>username/password combination. Like I said, I'm a complete Newbie to Oracle,
>so please excuse me if I'm way off track.
>
>For some applications, I would like to keep data apart.
>
>In the good ole days on VMS (RDB 6 something) it was just a case of;
> SQL> create database filename 'mydb';
>which created the main database file and a snapshot file.
>
>With Oracle 10g Express, there doesn't appear to be an option available. I
>may have missed something though.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ade

In oracle you would set up a new schema (username/password) to keep the tables logically separated, and a new tablespace to keep them physically separated. Depending on the size of the apps, the latter may not be necessary. In fact, given that there is an overall size limitation in XE, it may be counterproductive.

--
Jim Smith
I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.