Re: ORA-12154 ?!!?!?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2006 13:59:48 -0700

On Oct 23, 2:27 pm, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> MattJ83 wrote:
> > Im getting a bit of a headache......
>
> > Im getting this nasty error:
> > DBI connect('server','database',...) failed: at ./code.pl line 22
> > couldn't connect to database: Error while trying to retrieve text for
> > error ORA-12154 (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
>
> > its a perl script that i have written. It seems to work fine on server
> > #1 but not on server #2.
> > The env settings are different between these servers. but only in the
> > PATH settings. Server #1 doesn't even have a ORACLE_HOME setting but it
> > works.
>
> > I have checked the TNSnames_file on the server with one that is
> > working. They are really big so haven't gone through them all but the
> > bits I am interested in (relating to the database) are there and i have
> > done random checks and they seem identical.
>
> > Anyone got any idea about this? Its driving me insane!1 Read the Troubleshooting section in the Oracle Net administrators
> manual.
> 2 Search the Usenet archives
> 3 Do not think you are unique. There have been at least 1000000 posters
> before you with the samen problem who also felt compelled this FAQ yet
> again.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

The ORA-12154 error message is "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name"

As Sybrand mentioned there is information on the error in the referenced text (ch 17 with version 9)

On the working platform is the environment variable tns_admin set? Is it set on the non-working platform? On Windows this variable can be set in the registry.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Oct 23 2006 - 15:59:48 CDT