Secure file transfer in PL/SQL

From: <djs_at_prin.edu>
Date: 23 Oct 2006 08:05:27 -0700

I need to send a file to a bank and, since everything else in this new little system is PL/SQL, I'd like to do it from PL/SQL. Just beginning the conversation with the bank, but their initial specifications say that I have two options: 1) encrypt the file with PGP and use FTP to transfer it; or, 2) use HTTPS.

Well, I can transfer with FTP fine (done it before in UNIX, but now have discovered several PL/SQL packages so I can do it from there). BUT, we don't have PGP installed on our database server (UNIX). So either I jump through hoops (don't ask) and get PGP installed by our DBA, or, I figure out the mysteries of HTTPS. I see the UTL_HTTP package will handle HTTPS, but I feel I know too little about web page communications, and all that cookie talk just confuses me (and makes me hungry at the same time!).

Anyway, does anyone have any advice on getting started with HTTPS? All I need to do is logon somewhere with a username and password, and send them a file securely. It doesn't sound that difficult! (The rest of this little system I'm writing is a piece of cake -- oops, feeling hungry again.)

TIA for anything,
-Dan- Received on Mon Oct 23 2006 - 10:05:27 CDT