Re: Tough question for oracle DBAs/Solaris Admins. Log shipping.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:23:19 -0700

Martin T. wrote:

> Now to your post: Someone would have to setup the system, wouldn't he?
> Somehow the root password has to get into the system, so someone knows
> it ...

Actually no. I have had systems set up where no-one internal knew the password. Here's one method that will meet the test of government oversite agencies.

Open a screen for the auditor and walk away Let the auditor enter the password and hit the enter key clearing the screen.

Have the auditor write the password on a card, fold it in half, and place it in a sealed envelope.

If the envelop is unopened ... the system is secure. If the envelope is opened the auditor must be informed and the process repeated.

--
Daniel Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group