Re: Tough question for oracle DBAs/Solaris Admins. Log shipping.

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 2 Sep 2006 15:44:54 -0700

Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> On 2006-09-02 01:35:13 +0100, Ningi <ningi_at_EGGSANDSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> said:
> > Frank Cusack wrote:
> > <snip>
> > Yes they will. You stand no chance of meeting SEC 17a-4 if ANYBODY can
> > alter the data.
>
> do you get privileged access to the machine? Certainly you make sure
> that no one knows the root password (and I mean no one: if you have to
> recover it it's in a safe somewhere, requiring physical access and then
> several different security tokens to unlock it),

I have been reading this discussion with great interest ... and man, sure I'm glad I don't have anything to do with all this compliance stuff :)

Now to your post: Someone would have to setup the system, wouldn't he? Somehow the root password has to get into the system, so someone knows it ...

All this trust discussion strikes me as rather ridiculous I must say ... did all this auditing and not trusting nothing and noone also go on in the old days of paper records?

DISCLAMER: I'm fully aware I have no clue about all these things. :P Received on Sat Sep 02 2006 - 17:44:54 CDT