Re: Tough question for oracle DBAs/Solaris Admins. Log shipping.

From: <jKILLSPAM.schipper_at_math.uu.nl>
Date: 03 Sep 2006 11:29:20 GMT

In comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet_at_austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Karen Hill wrote:

>> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

>>> But root can unset the immutable flag. Thus it only serves as
>>> protection against accidental deletions or modifications. This is
>>> slightly useful. Roles are better for that purpose.
>>
>> Not when they are at a networked run level according to the OpenBSD man
>> page on the subject.  They would have to reboot, or bring it down to
>> single user mode to do that.

> Do you mean they'd have to reboot to do it at all, or do you mean that
> they'd have to reboot to do it in a supported manner? I strongly
> suspect it's the latter. After all, at some level, it's all bits and
> bytes (both on disk and in RAM), so if you can execute privileged
> instructions on the processor, you can do whatever you want, period.

I am not currently aware of any way to change the runlevel from a running OpenBSD system - by design, root cannot execute kernel-level ('priviliged' in your message, I believe) code.

One of the ways of doing this is denying access to kernel memory - see mem(4), securelevel(7) on a OpenBSD system.

However, see my other message...

                Joachim Received on Sun Sep 03 2006 - 06:29:20 CDT