Re: Tough question for oracle DBAs/Solaris Admins. Log shipping.

From: Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet_at_austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 01:19:51 GMT

Karen Hill wrote:
> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

>> On 1 Sep 2006 12:28:12 -0700
>> "Karen Hill" <karen_hill22_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Immutable files are files where not even root
>>> can change/delete/move a file set as immutable.
>> But root can unset the immutable flag. Thus it only serves as
>> protection against accidental deletions or modifications. This is
>> slightly useful. Roles are better for that purpose.

> Not when they are at a networked run level according to the OpenBSD man
> page on the subject. They would have to reboot, or bring it down to
> single user mode to do that.

Do you mean they'd have to reboot to do it at all, or do you mean that they'd have to reboot to do it in a supported manner? I strongly suspect it's the latter. After all, at some level, it's all bits and bytes (both on disk and in RAM), so if you can execute privileged instructions on the processor, you can do whatever you want, period.