Re: copy

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:30:52 -0700

mike7411_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I want to create a PL/SQL procedure that takes about 30 Oracle database
> tables and copies them to a remote server. However, I'm not sure how
> to deal with certain referential integrity issues. One issue is that
> the database may be getting updated while the copy is being performed.
> Another issue is that, even if the database isn't being updated, at
> times during the copy, constraints may be violated.
>
> So do I have to basically disable each constraint individually and
> exclusively lock all the tables? Or is there an easier way?

You need to:

1. Provide version information
2. Explain how the design allows the issues you raise as concerns
3. Talk about the amount of time, the amount of data, etc.

Someone reading the above doesn't know if copying the tables will take 30 milliseconds or 30 hours or if you are using Oracle 5.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington