Re: Oracle Newbie 9i Installation

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:39:11 -0700

Claudia.Alarcon_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a University Distance student and I am taking a data base
> management class. For our first assignment, we have to install Oracle
> 9i.
> I have a book that came with the 3 Oracle installation CD's. I have
> registered and now have a key.
>
> But the problem is the following, when I start the setup application
> from the CD 1, it basically freezes up and "does not respond". I am not
> sure what to do at this point becuase I "have to "install it in order
> to complete the assignment.
>
> Here is the configuration of my machine:
>
> XP Professional
> NTFS
> 55.8 Gigabytes
> 256 MB
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated,
>
> Claudia :)

3 CDs?. A key? Oracle doesn't use them.

But that said the problem is likely 256MB of RAM. I wouldn't try anything less than 512MB with a decent Pentium 4.

If there is something wrong with those CDs ... there may not be ... you can download Oracle software for free at http://otn.oracle.com. And not to discourage you but why learn 9i? It is 5 years old and basic 10g features such as the recyclebin don't exist.

Also, the demos I use for my Oracle students at the University of Washington, are all available on the web in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan