Re: Oracle Newbie 9i Installation

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 8 Aug 2006 00:23:46 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Claudia.Alarcon_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am a University Distance student and I am taking a data base
> > management class. For our first assignment, we have to install Oracle
> > 9i.
> > I have a book that came with the 3 Oracle installation CD's. I have
> > registered and now have a key.
> >
> > But the problem is the following, when I start the setup application
> > from the CD 1, it basically freezes up and "does not respond". I am not
> > sure what to do at this point becuase I "have to "install it in order
> > to complete the assignment.
> >
> > Here is the configuration of my machine:
> >
> > XP Professional
> > NTFS
> > 55.8 Gigabytes
> > 256 MB
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated,
> >
> > Claudia :)
>
> 3 CDs?. A key? Oracle doesn't use them.

9i2 indeed comes with 3 CDs ... though I can't recall atm if I ever used all 3 :)
As for the key ... I also never saw one.

> But that said the problem is likely 256MB of RAM. I wouldn't try
> anything less than 512MB with a decent Pentium 4.

I think we all agree here?
DON'T use M$ windows XP with 256MB RAM if you do anything more that Word & Surfing.

To the OP -
As far as I remember, Oracle installer on windows puts its logfiles under
C:\<Program files>\Oracle
Maybe you can find something there.

best,
Martin Received on Tue Aug 08 2006 - 02:23:46 CDT